Queizuar is an SME, created in 1997 that produces traditional PDO cheese. It is located in Galicia the leading milk producer region in Spain, with approximately 55% of the Spanish dairy farms.
Nowadays, Queizuar-Bama processes 50.000 litres per day, producing 3 types of cheese: Arzua Ulloa Protected Denomination of Origin, Tetilla Protected Denomination of Origin and Fresh cheese.
Queizuar possesses two international patents related with the valorization of cheese whey, obtained by the effort in R&D&I that the company has developed during the last 11 years with more than 8 R&D public individual and collaborative projects (autonomic, state, and European projects).
Turnover volume (2015)
• Agro food: cheese and concentrated cheese whey
• Biotechnological & Bioenergy: technology to transform lactose from cheese whey to ethanol.
• Biotechnological & Health: technology to transform the protein in functional peptides.
• Cheese Whey
• Milk proteins and peptides
• Bioethanol production
• Concentrated Cheese Whey
• Tetilla PDO cheese (with three references)
• Arzúa-Ulloa PDO cheese (with four references)
• Functional peptides
• Bioethanol production
The main interest in foreign markets, forgetting the main interest of the company that is selling cheese, is the transference of technology (our patents) to other companies that want to obtain some value from cheese whey, and also collaboration in R&D&I projects related with sustainability in which Queizuar is focused since its beginning.
Queizuar has more than 11 years of experience in R&D&I projects related with food and sustainability. Its most important experience is with the valorization of cheese whey, with two patents related with the production of bioethanol from the sugars, and production of functional peptides from the proteins.
Arzúa-Ulloa PDO Cheese:
• 5 Bronze distinctions in the 5th, 10th, 11th, 13th and 15th “Cata dos queixos de Galicia” edition (2002, 2007, 2008, 2010 and 2012).
• 2 Silver distinctions in the 6th and 8th “Cata dos queixos de Galicia” edition (2003 and 2005).
• 2 Gold distinctions in the 7th and 12th “Cata dos queixos de Galicia” edition (2004 and 2009).
Cured Arzúa-Ulloa PDO Cheese:
• 1 Bronze distinction in the 16th “Cata dos queixos de Galicia” edition (2013).
Tetilla PDO Cheese:
• 1 Bronze distinction in the 3rd “Cata dos queixos de Galicia” edition (2000).
• 1 Gold distinction in the 12th “Cata dos queixos de Galicia” edition (2009).
• Kluyveromyces lactis yeast strain and methods for the production of sugars, ethanol, beta-galactosidase and biomass - PCT/ES2011/070550.
• Optimised method for obtaining angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitory peptides, inhibitory peptides and food containing same - PCT/ES2011/070551.