Making health research closer to your live
The Health Research Institute of Santiago de Compostela (IDIS) is a translational research, innovation and knowledge transfer centre located in Galicia, Northwest Spain. It was born as a joint venture between the University of Santiago de Compostela and several units of the Galician public health care provider, SERGAS. Namely, the university hospitals of Santiago de Compostela and Lugo and the hospitals of Monforte, Cervo, Burela and Barbanza.
Created in January the 31st, 2008, it was awarded research centre of the Spanish National Health System in March 2010 by the Instituto de Salud Carlos III. In 2016, the Institute has published 613 original scientific articles, editorials and reviews in 285 international journals indexed in the Journal Citation Report with a cumulative impact factor of 2.2565 points.
Turnover volume (2016)
• Research management and promotion
• Professional training and lifelong learning
• Tertiary health care innovation
• Quality assurance
• Clinical trials.
• Personalised medicine.
• New drugs development (including nano drugs and nano delivery).
• Advanced therapies research and development.
• Advanced diagnosis methods.
• Molecular image for diagnosis of human diseases and molecular researh.
• Animal models for researh about molecular processes involved in human diseases.
• Epidemiology and clinical research unit.
• Genomics platform. Sequencing and Fragment Analysis Unit.
• Experimental Biomedicine Centre (CEBEGA). Animal Experimentation Facility.
• Innopharma Platform (early drug discovery).y and clinical research unit.
• Molecular Imaging Unit. Micro PET/SPECT/CT scan.
• PET Radiopharmacy Unit. Galicia Cyclotron.
• Drug Screening Platform (USEF).
• 9,4 T Magnetic Resonance.
• Confocal Microscopy.
• Proteomics platform.
• Liquid biopsy unit.
• Flow Cytometry.
• Internationalization of clinical trials to improve sample representativeness.
• Public/private partnerships with international enterprises.
• Establisment of agreements for the creation of an international framework for the establisment o
Three tiered centre where health service provision, translational research and teaching and learning strategies happening at the same time and the same space. A mixed environment where health service providers, academia, research centres, industry and patients interact fluently with a committed management team with an indepth understanding of the complexity of research processes in such a mixed environment founded on scientific, ethical, legal and administrative backgrounds.
• Advanced level of internationalization.
• Advanced level of integration at local, regional and national level.
• Spin-off generation.
• Scientific production and top-level researcher groups’ leaders.
• A built space devoted to research within a hospital.
• Our own predoctoral grant programme created in 2011.
• 2015: Renewed award as research centre of the Spanish National Health System (Instituto de Salud Carlos III) and Best In Class Awards on Research and Innovation (Gaceta Médica).
• 2010: Awarded research centre of the Spanish National Health System (Instituto de Salud Carlos III).
• Agent, Product and Use (M-TRAP II). • Biomarkers for diagnosis and prognosis of corneal ectasia. • Method for predicting patient outcome and therapy response in metastatic colorectal cancer (PrediCTC).
• Method for the separation of the glycosaminoglycan bound fraction and its applications (GAG).
• Prognosis of cerebral ischemia.
• Riboflavin for the treatment of ischemic stroke and/or other glutamate excitotoxicity-associated diseases.
• Use of obestatin for muscle regeneration.
• Use of oxalacetate in the treatment of ischemia.
• Much more others, near 50.
Isabel Lista García
Health Research Institute of
Santiago de Compostela
Travesía da Choupana, s/n
15706 Santiago de Compostela - Spain
(+34) 981 95 53 07